If you keep hearing bad news, you come to expect it. I suppose in a way that’s a good thing because you are at least spared the shock to your system. Therefore, the only real surprise these days is when a bit of good news slips through.
For instance, I know that David Axelrod is getting a lot of media attention for writing a book in which he divulges the news -- stop the presses! – that Barack Obama did not really evolve, as he claimed, from being opposed to same-sex marriages to being an ardent supporter. Axelrod explained that Obama was always in favor of them, but claimed otherwise in 2008 for political reasons. But, really, did anyone really believe he was on the conservative side of the debate? Even homosexuals knew better, which explains why they voted overwhelmingly for the great pretender.
• In Chapel Hill, a disgruntled neighbor apparently shot and killed three Muslims -- Deah Barakat, his wife and sister-in-law -- in a dispute over a parking space. Although everyone who knew the killer said he was an atheist who despised all believers, whatever their religion, as well as everyone else in town, Muslims are demanding it be treated as a hate crime and, so, naturally, Eric Holder’s flying monkeys are looking into it.
What is not being broadcast is that the real hater was young Mr. Barakat himself. According to a slew of his tweets, he hated Israel and he hated the U.S. because of its historic ties to Israel. He was consistently tweeting support for Hamas and comparing Israel to the Nazis, as well as parroting the slander that the Israelis and George Bush were behind 9/11.
To me, the surprise isn’t that America’s Muslims are, as usual, claiming victimhood. The only real surprise is how rarely they actually are victimized.
• At a conference in Brussels, Christiana Figueres of Costa Rica, the Executive Secretary of the U.N.’s Framework Convention on Climate Change, gave what is perhaps the first noteworthy speech ever delivered in Brussels. (Mrs. Figueres, by the way, must have to pay an overweight fee every time she boards an airplane just to cart her title around.)
What she admitted is that the primary goal of environmentalists, of which she is one, is not to save the world from ecological calamity, but to destroy capitalism. She confessed: “This is the first time in the history of mankind that we are setting ourselves the task of intentionally changing the economic development model that has been reigning for at least 150 years, ever since the Industrial Revolution.”
So the next time, Obama, Gore, Biden, Pelosi or some lunkhead at the U.N. tells you the planet is on the verge of being incinerated, keep in mind that the actual target is the only economic system that has ever lifted people out of poverty and allowed them to rise, through honest endeavor, above the station into which they were born.
• In case you ever wondered why civil servants should never have been allowed to unionize -- a move which led to huge blocs of voters in a position to negotiate their contracts with corrupt politicians -- it seems that 4,481 retired New York City school teachers are receiving annual pensions in excess of $100,000.
Because politicians rarely give a thought to anything beyond their next election, and because the money they cough up, whether in the form of welfare, disability or pensions, is not coming out of their own pockets, they go through life like Santa Claus’s evil brother, Insanity Claus.
• Although it’s been fun piling on Brian Williams, I hate to see him be the only person being suspended, a suspension which will very likely lead to termination. After all, every member of every NBC camera crew that accompanied him to Iraq, New Orleans and D-Day’s Omaha Beach, knew he was lying. Every producer who was ever assigned to his show knew he was lying. Every executive in the news division of NBC knew he was lying. And yet, so far as we know, every single one of them was complicit in his lies, maintaining a collective silence the Mafia would have envied, until a few members of the military spilled their guts to a reporter for Stars and Stripes.
In a just world, it’s NBC that would be serving a six month suspension.
• In other news, Oregon’s Governor John Kitzhaber (D), recently elected to a fourth term, has been forced to resign in the wake of a scandal involving his fiancée using his office to induce huge bribes from those involved in the so-called clean energy industry.
Although Kitzhaber tried to tough it out, he was eventually forced to cave to media and party pressure, and call it quits.
Because Oregon doesn’t have a lieutenant governor, his resignation paved the way for Secretary of State Kate Brown to assume the office. What makes her ascension newsworthy is the fact that she is now America’s first openly bi-sexual governor.
Frankly, if I were bi-sexual, I think I’d keep it under wraps. In this day and age, thanks to a general breakdown in morals and sanity, there is apparently nothing intrinsically shameful about anyone’s sexual bent, even if one’s taste runs to inflatable dolls, farm animals or Rosie O’Donnell.
However, as bad as it is if you’re heterosexual or homosexual and can’t scrounge up a date for Saturday night, if you’re bi-sexual, it means that absolutely nobody in the entire universe wants to be seen with you.
A Classless Society
For a great many years, ours was a nation where class distinctions existed, but they weren’t usually rolled out for strictly partisan purposes. But that was before Obama and his trolls decided there was political gold to be mined by dividing America into a series of political wards, separated by age, race, gender and income.
In England, the people have long been divided into upper class and lower class. Over here, Obama, a notable Anglophobe, has seen to it that the major divide is between those with some vestige of class and those with none.
By promoting the redistribution of wealth, he has garnered favor with poor blacks, single women, college students, illegal aliens and Jewish socialists, and through his economic policies he has made the poor poorer and the rich even richer, leading to increased political contributions from defense attorneys, insurance companies and Wall Street. It has also sent a great many of those who were formerly entrenched in the middle class into poverty, making them increasingly dependent on the federal government, the natural feeding ground of Democrats.
As every tyrant of the 20th century, from Lenin and Stalin to Hitler, Pol Pot and Mao, knew only too well, before absolute power could rest safely in their hands, the middle class had to be destroyed. In Russia, Germany, Cambodia and China, it happened at the point of a gun and resulted in gulags and mass graves. Here it only took Obama’s telephone and fountain pen, along with a compliant Congress, to achieve the desired ends.
For instance, when I recently wrote about the vanishing steel industry, once one of the major bulwarks of our economy, I was reminded that it didn’t happen by accident. It was the result of the EPA shutting down blast furnaces, open hearth furnaces and coke ovens. As a result, coke-making operations, as Howard Last of Wyoming, reminded me, were largely abandoned, and coke is essential for a blast furnace to operate.
But the industrial union leaders essentially let it happen, and then, like the lap dogs they are, continued shelling out millions of dollars to the DNC. And just in case you were wondering why they would stand idly by and watch Obama and the Democrats put the kibosh on the Keystone pipeline and its 40,000 well-paying jobs, it’s because union leaders, who are even more useless than the human appendix, get paid just as much whether or not their members are working.
• Here in California, 500 information technology (IT) workers at So Cal Edison are being laid off and being replaced by workers from India. Adding insult to injury, the Americans are being required to train them. What’s more, according to Patrick Thibodeau, writing in Computerworld, similar sins are being committed around the country.
These are not only jobs Americans are willing to do, they are good-paying, highly technical jobs they were already doing.
But it’s nothing new. IT workers have been complaining about this for some time, but they are being drowned out by the lobbyists for high tech companies working the corridors of Congress. They are also silenced by severance agreements as well as legitimate fears that raising a stink will hurt their future prospects for employment.
• Recently, I compared the members of ISIS to the Nazis, and although it was a close competition, I finally decided that for a number of reasons, the Muslims were worse. One thing I left out of the equation is that the Germans maintained POW camps. They actually clothed and fed captured soldiers; they did not behead them or set them ablaze.
Some people have wondered why ISIS insists on filming and then posting the gruesome videos on social media, especially when they must realize it provokes their enemies to retaliate. The answer is fairly obvious. It’s because, contrary to Obama’s contention that Gitmo serves as a recruiting tool for jihadists, these visual aids attract sadists the way blood in the water attracts sharks. It is how the Nazis swelled the ranks of the S.S. They merely let it be known that if you joined up, you would not only be able to rape, torture and murder, with impunity, but you would be paid and would receive commendations and medals.
The real mystery to me is why everyone is terrified of confronting ISIS. They’re certainly barbaric, even by Islamic standards, but there are only about 30,000 of them and they don’t even have an air force. Even France, I dare say, could wipe them out in about a week. Plus the schmucks don’t speak German, so the French wouldn’t be at their usual psychological disadvantage.
• Speaking of those who should be neutered, if not wiped out entirely, liberals have made careers out of mocking conservatives, insisting we’re a bunch of pious busybodies who like nothing better than to condemn other people’s morals.
But it is those on the Left who consistently show Salem witch hunter Cotton Mather to be something of an underachiever. It’s Democrats who have decided that they and they alone should determine how everybody else should behave.
So by their lights, it’s okay to be a religious zealot, but only so long as your religion is Islam or Liberalism, but strictly taboo if it happens to be Christianity or Judaism.
It is also perfectly fine if you’re homosexual or engage in any other sexual activity formerly deemed perverse, unnatural or disgusting. Instead, those are the words liberals reserve for those who smoke tobacco – but not marijuana – and who believe in an omnipotent God other than one named Barack Obama.
But if you really want to enrage a true leftist believer, let him see you imbibing one of those satanic beverages containing – horror of horrors – sugar! Like Linda Blair in “The Exorcist,” his head will start twirling, his eyes will roll up into his skull and green bile will come spewing from his mouth.
• I assume we are all familiar with Michelangelo’s masterful work on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, showing God, the bearer of life, reaching out to touch his finger to that of Adam. Someone sent me a cartoon recently that showed God holding out, not a finger, but a human brain to his creation, and Adam replying: “No thanks…I’m a liberal.”
It would certainly explain why we got booted out of Eden.
©2015 Burt Prelutsky. Comments? BurtPrelutsky@fastmail.com.